What's at Stake
Times continue to be tough, and the need to help those less fortunate continues to grow. Even a small donation can make a significant impact.
Consider What's at Stake
- One in seven Southern Nevadans are food insecure – that’s more than 271,000 people who don’t always have enough to eat, and more than 103,000 are children.
- Inadequate nutrition in childhood has been shown to have a debilitating effect on a child’s cognitive function, often leading to under performance in school and lower academic achievement.
- Children who grow up in poverty stricken families suffer two to four times as many health problems as their counterparts who do not experience hunger.
- Children between the ages of five and seven, living in food insecure households have nearly three times the odds of stunted growth.
- More than 62% of Clark County School District students are enrolled in free or reduced-price meal programs.
Solve Childhood Hunger
- BackPack for Kids currently assists approximately 250 schools with nearly 4,500 children receiving supplemental weekend meals each week.
- Kids Cafe® currently serves 221 after-school programs, including After School All Stars, 21st Century Learning Centers and Safekey. Kids Cafe provides, on average, approximately 40,000 meals per week and is a program of Feeding America. In the 2016 - 2017 school year, more than 1.4 million Kids Cafe meals were distributed.
- Meet Up and Eat Up (Summer Food Service Program) provides meals to students when school is not in session during the summer months. Through this program, Three Square served more than 265,000 meals in 2017.
- FaVE! Program: A new program aiming to expand children's palates by introducing them to a variety of fruits and vegetables that they are not accustomed to eating. Currently, Three Square hosts FaVE! sessions at 54 schools around the valley.
BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION